Monday, September 14, 2009

Skillet Cake


At our house, a sure sign of the arrival of the Fall season is the arrival of the Skillet Cake !
This "cake" is William's favorite, any time of the year. With the abundance of pecans and apples in the recipe, it just feels like Fall ! And with a cup of coffee ----ummmmmm----well, you try it out and you'll see......

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 apples, any kind, chopped with peelings on
1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Combine all ingredients. Batter will be very thick, just work to incorporate everything. Turn batter out into a greased and floured black iron skillet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. Cool. Enjoy!!!

I made this cake Friday night about 10:00 and it was gone in just a few hours. Funny how one little cake can signal that Fall is here !!!

The weather today is supposed to continue to be cloudy and cool. 80 is our high !! It is mid-60s at night.....a real cold snap. Just 2 weeks ago it was a blazing 100+ degrees !! Amazing !!! Do you have any special recipes that you bring out at the start of the Fall season? I'd love to know about them, if you care to share.

Y'all have a very blessed Fall day today !

Gwynie Pie
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. Tracy's pumpkin bread and chili always say Fall to me. I have the receipes somewhere around here and am ready to dig them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds oh, so yummy! We are going to make it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! Can't wait to give it a try!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. so is it possible to leave out the pecans since i am allergic to them?

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I am always looking for things like this to bake for Sunday breakfast. I copied the recipe and will make it this Sunday. Thanks for sharing it.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to try this! B will LOVE it!

    Love reading your blog...wish I had more time to steal away and escape to "Pie's"...love ya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well,Lisa Wallace made this recipe for us this past Sat. night. YUM!!!!! My dad has been hounding me to go and find it on your website. Yeah, I am the number one daughter now. We all enjoyed it and I don't believe there was anything left once we got finished with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have everything to make this so why not? Looks fabulously delicious.
    I made a peach/pear cobbler in my cast iron skillet a few days ago. (It's not just for cornbread or frying squash, is it?)

    ReplyDelete