Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Singing Green Family


As I was cleaning out closets last Saturday, I came upon a beat-up cardboard box, full of songbooks. I had forgotten they were in there. For all of my growing up years, that book of books rode around in the trunk of our car. My Dad's reasoning was sound...."You never know when someone might want to sing."

I never questioned this. Because, sure enough, we'd be over at an Aunt and Uncle's house and someone would say, "Hey there, Patsy, sit down at that piano and let's sing a while." And she would. And we did. We would open up those songbooks and call out a number and we'd be off.....singing for hours. Someone would cut up lemons and get out some peppermints to soothe throats that were getting a workout.

It never, ever occured to me that everybody else didn't have a box of songbooks in their car. Isn't that funny?

AND none of this really struck me as "odd" until I found that box of books on Saturday.

It was just the way life was.

My Dad's family would have "get-togethers" and "singings" about 3 or 4 times a year. And more often if a big enough group was in any one place at one time for long enough. And when I say "singing", I mean gospel singing. And we all could sing. Singing was a very valued gift. My Dad and his brothers and sisters grew up with a singing Dad and he developed that gift in all of them. They passed it on to us.

There were 12 children in the Green family and after they all grew up and had ALL us cousins, when we got together, it was a crowd! Such wonderful memories. So sweet. Every single one of them.

We grew up loving each other so much.....still do! And as kids, we just couldn't wait until the next time we had a "singing" or a "get-together". Well------ our next "get-together" will be next Saturday, the 26th, when we will be hosting the family reunion. But the next "singing"? That will probably have to wait. You see, my Dad and so many of his brothers and sisters are in heaven now and very few remain here.....so we'll just have our next family singing when we all get to be There with them.

Every single singing, every time -- we would wind down the night with this great old hymn. We sang it at my Dad's funeral and I hadn't sung it again until this morning, with many tears. It is so beautiful! Such a beautiful prayer. It was a benediction to our time together and a blessing upon each of us as we left there and went on with our lives. I HAVE to share it with you.....

God be with you, till we meet again,
By His councils guide, uphold you,
With His sheep securely fold you,
God be with you, till we meet again.

God be with you, till we meet again.
'Neath His wings securely hide you,
Daily manna still provide you,
God be with you, till we meet again.

God be with you, till we meet again.
Keep love's banner floating o'er you,
Smite death's threatening wave before you,
God be with you till we meet again.

Till we meet again,
Till we meet....
Till we meet at Jesus' feet.
Till we meet again
Till we meet....
God be with you till we meet again.

Blessings on your Thursday,

Gwynie Pie
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I love it when God gives us such special memories. I remember once out at your house when I think it was New Years that we got out the hymnal. Devin went through the hymnal and we all sang. Sweet, sweet time with "family" and the Lord. Thanks for reminding me of that special memory in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many wonderful memories, and communicate them so well. I felt like I was there with you singing along. Thank you for sharing your life with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey there mrs. gwen. i just wanted to tell you that even though i don't know you very well at all, i just love reading about your life. you are special. please keep posting. i learn so much from you... i want to be like you when i grow up.

    ReplyDelete